Saturday, February 12, 2011

Baked Chicken in Saurkraut

The other day I was invited to a friends house for dinner I was asked to create some kind of unique chicken dish. So I looked in my refrigerator and used what ingredients I could find. Here is what I created. Everyone enjoyed it so much, and I do not think they were just being polite. I was genuinely surprised at how good it tasted.

Ingredients:
1 jar of sauerkraut
mustard (dijon and plain)
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
4 tablespoon brown sugar
Lemon pepper
salt and pepper
4 boneless chicken breasts

I started out by placing a layer of drained sauerkraut on the bottom of a corning ware casserole dish. On top of the sauerkraut I spread a thin layer of mustard (I used a combination of dijon and plain) I seasoned my chicken breast with lemon pepper as well as salt and pepper, and laid the chicken on top of the sauerkraut. I them mixed up the Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar and poured it over the top of the chicken. Then I baked it in the oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour. At first my wife was horrified at the idea (but over the years she has learned to trust my judgment when it comes to cooking). At first the aroma that came out of the oven was pungent because of the sauerkraut, however as the flavors blended and the chicken cooked it became very pleasant.


No comments:

Post a Comment