Saturday, February 12, 2011

Chicken Fried Steak

I have tried numerous chicken fried steak recipes. Recently my wife travel over to Montana for woman's retreat with our church group. She found a book entitled "Skillet Cooking for Camp and Kitchen" by A.D. Livingston. Inside was a recipe that I have adopted for my own use and well as making it for Gluten intolerant people.

Ingredients:
Beef chuck steak, (cut to about 1/2 " thick) actually I like very thin flank steak which I cut thin using my meat slicer while partially frozen.
peanut or canola oil ( I prefer canola)
all-purpose flour ( I use a gf mix or blend since I do not keep regular flour in the house)
milk (at room temperature) soy milk or rice milk works just fine
water
chicken egg
salt and freshly ground pepper

Beat the steak on both sides using a mallet or the edge of a plate until tender on both sides.
Whisk the egg with a little milk (about 2 tablespoons). Dust the steaks with flour or gf mix, dip in the egg mixture, let the excess drip off, then dredge in flour. Shake off the excess flour and set the steaks aside while you heat about 1/2" of oil in a skillet.

Fry the steaks for about 3 minutes per side until each side is golden brown. and a little crispy.

No comments:

Post a Comment