Saturday, February 12, 2011

Coconut Shrimp

Coconut Shrimp (Bobby Flay I am ready for a throwdown with this dish)
 Friday, June 12, 2009 at 9:35pm | Edit Note | Delete
I have spent many hours and attempts perfecting this dish.

Ingredients:
1 lb large shrimp (I know it is an oxymoron) size 31-40 is what I prefer
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 large egg whites

oil for frying
orange marmalade for dipping

1. I buy the Costco raw tail on shrimp size 31-40 I have found it to be the best not only in taste , but since it is farmed it is very consistent. Put the frozen shrimp into cold water to thaw. I personally like to remove the tails.
2. In a bowl whisk together cornstarch and spices. Put coconut into separate bowl.
3. In a separate bowl beat eggs until foamy. I use a fork for this process.
4. dip each shrimp into the dry mixture first, then into the egg whites and finally into the coconut (this is very important to do this step in this order keeps the dry mixture dry)
5. heat oil to 325 degrees. Fry in small batches turning once to assure even browning. Drain on paper towels.
Serve with orange marmalade as a dip.

* when I have friends over I always end up cooking 2 pounds of shrimp. plus side dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment