Sunday, February 13, 2011

Glaze for a turkey

I do not care for turkey, usually to dry and I just don't care for it, however this year I tried something different. We had a thanksgiving banquet at our church and I had a ten pound turkey breast that I wanted to cook up. So on a whim I decided to make a glaze for the turkey. Here is what I did...

Ingredients:
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup wheat free tamari
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch

I put all the ingredients into a sauce pan and cooked over a medium heat stirring constantly until clear and thickened.

I put the turkey into a baking bad and then poured the glaze all over the top. Then I closed up the bag and baked the turkey at 325 degrees for 3 hours. The turkey came out extremely moist and delicious. It was a big hit at our church Only 2 small slices remained of my turkey, yet there was a considerable amount of turkey left over from the other cooks. Even our pastors wife remarked at how well my turkey had been. There were over 50 people at that banquet, so I was very pleased at how my glazed turkey went over.

My mashed potatoes also went over extremely well...I do not do regular mashed potatoes even though I could I make up very special mashed potatoes...Here is how I make them...3 large russet potatoes, 2 yams, peeled and cut up...placed in a pot of water and brought to a boil then cooked until the potatoes are tender...I then drain off the water and put the cooked potatoes into the bowl of my mixer. I add 1/2 cup sour cream and 4 oz of cream cheese...and blend well then serve....no need to add butter, plus as a bonus you can freeze these potatoes to use at a later time if needed...

No comments:

Post a Comment